The emergence of Big Data as the new-age technology has changed the landscape of data science. And, one of the most extensively used and popular Big Data frameworks is Hadoop. Some of the top players in the industry, including Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Intel, Yahoo, eBay, Amazon, and Hortonworks, use Hadoop for all their Big Data needs.
Developed by Doug Cutting and Michale J., Hadoop is an open-source, Java-based framework for storing and processing large datasets. It is a collection of libraries that provide the framework for processing massive datasets across thousands of computers in clusters.
Who is a Hadoop developer?
A Hadoop developer is a professional coder and programmer with extensive knowledge in Big Data tools and technologies. They know the Hadoop framework inside out and are responsible for the design and development, configuration, installation and implementation of the Hadoop framework. To put it in simple words, a Hadoop developer is just like a software developer, but the field of expertise is Big Data.
Today, there is a huge demand for Hadoop developers in the market. According to recent studies, it is estimated that 80% of all Fortune 500 companies will have adopted Hadoop by 2020.
Companies across various sectors of the industry are hiring skilled Hadoop developers to solve complex analytical challenges related to Big Data. Apart from designing and developing the Hadoop framework to fit company objectives and client demands, Hadoop developers can also fix wrongly configured Hadoop clusters.
Armed with the requisite knowledge of Big Data tools and technologies, Hadoop Developers can help companies uncover the potential of Big Data to enhance business value. They can build scalable and flexible Big Data solutions for companies that can be deployed both onsite or on cloud platforms according to client needs.
By and large, a Hadoop developer is the answer to all the business challenges associated with distributed data processing on a vast scale.
How to Become a Hadoop developer?
According to a recent report by Allied Market Research, by 2021, the global Hadoop Market is predicted to expand exponentially to reach $84.6 billion at a compound annual growth rate of 63.4%. What does this mean? It only goes to show that the demand for Hadoop developers is to increase significantly in the years to come. So, if you are ready to strike when the iron is hot, here’s the pathway to becoming a Hadoop developer.
1. Get Your Education Right
The good thing about Hadoop is that it doesn’t require a bachelor’s degree in computer science. You could be a graduate in statistics, mathematics, analytics, physics or any other science stream to explore opportunities in the Hadoop domain. What is mandatory is the sound knowledge of more than one programming language and distributed systems.
Most companies recruiting Hadoop developers always look for candidates who are skilled coders/programmers with a good grasp on languages like Python, R, Java, SQL, and Scala. If you are well-versed in databases like NoSQL, MySQL, Oracle, and MongoDB, then the better are your chances of being hired.
2. Acquire Hadoop and Related Domain Knowledge
A Hadoop developer must have an in-depth understanding of the Hadoop ecosystem, including HDFS, YARN (Yet Another Resource Negotiator) and MapReduce. Apart from this, a Hadoop developer must:
- be proficient in back-end programming, particularly Java, JS, Node.js and OOAD.
- be well-versed in database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- be familiar with data loading tools like Flume and Sqoop.
- be able to write high-performance, scalable and reliable codes.
- be well-versed in Hadoop, HBase, Hive, Pig, and HBase.
- be able to write MapReduce jobs.
- be able to write Pig Latin scripts.
- have hands-on working experience in HiveQL.
- have sound knowledge of data warehouse infrastructure.
- have a basic understanding of operating systems (Linux, Windows, and iOS).
- have in-depth knowledge of multi-threading and concurrency concepts.
3. Build on the other Essential Skills
To be a successful Hadoop developer, you must also have the following skills:
- Analytical skills – Hadoop developers must understand and analyze the needs of customers and design solutions accordingly.
- Creativity – Just like software developers, Hadoop developers must be creative and innovative in their workspace.
- Detail-Oriented – Software development takes place in parts and phases. Hence, attention to detail at every stage is essential to build well-designed and integrated products.
- Problem-Solving Skills – Hadoop developers must be expert problem solvers who can resolve issues as and when they arise in the course of the product development process.
- Communication Skills – Since Hadoop developers work as a part of a team, they must communicate effectively with other team members. This makes the development process seamless and smooth. Also, they should be able to explain to customers about the working of software solutions and respond to their queries.
4. Get a Hadoop Certification
Certifications are an excellent way to hone your knowledge and skill set. You get to focus on a particular domain and learn about the new concepts and latest trends in the same. Thankfully, there are plenty of platforms offering Hadoop certifications with Cloudera, MapR, IBM, and Hortonworks being the top few.
Being a Hadoop-certified professional has numerous advantages:
- Having a Hadoop certification allows you to stand out amongst your peers. Besides, you become a valuable asset for your organization as you can add value to your company through the application of your newly gained skills and expertise.
- Certifications add credibility to your education and knowledge, thereby revamping your resume. This makes you a more appealing candidate to potential employers.
- You will receive better employment opportunities, thanks to your advanced domain knowledge and Big Data skills.
Although the pathway to becoming a Hadoop developer is pretty straightforward and simple, you need the right guidance and training for it. The best way to gain the requisite training is to take up a Hadoop training course. Learning from expert mentors in the field and engaging in a productive exchange of ideas with your peers will help set you on the right path for becoming a successful Hadoop developer.